If the Directory Services Restore Mode password is unknown, follow these steps to reset it to a known value. NOTE: Directions for Windows 2003 only.
- Open a command prompt and type
- Start the Directory Service Restore Mode Administrator password-reset utility by typing
set dsrm password
- Run the Reset Password command, passing the name of the server on which to change the password, or use the null argument to specify the local machine.
To reset the password on the local machine, specify null as the server name:
Reset DSRM Administrator Password:
reset password on server null
- You’ll be prompted twice to enter the new password. You’ll see the following messages:
Please type password for DS Restore Mode Administrator Account:
Please confirm new password:
Password has been set successfully.
- Exit the password-reset utility by typing
- Reboot the server